Bacon cheeseburgers are one of the most popular burger combinations around. How about adding a slightly sweet blueberry jam to this iconic burger to “take it up a notch” as they say. It’s an easy addition and it adds the sweet-savory flavor that is so remarkable in food. Perfect for 4th of July or Summer BBQs!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Tips for Cooking Burgers Indoors
Best Additions or Substitutions
Cheeseburgers are easy to customize and can adapt to the tastes of the crowd at a Summer barbecue or gathering. Simply lay out an array of different accompaniments and let people assemble their own burger.
Here are some popular additions or substitutions for customizing a blueberry-bacon-cheeseburger:
- Replace lettuce with spicy arugula
- Replace gouda cheese with blue cheese
- Replace blueberry jam with blueberry BBQ sauce
- Add a basil aioli instead of mayo (see notes in recipe card for directions)
- Toast the buns with a bit of oil if you want extra crunch
- Use red onions for added color
Step #1: Cook the bacon to your preferred crispiness
Step #2: Grill or pan-fry the burgers (see cooking tips for best burgers below)
Step #3: While burgers are cooking make a blueberry compote if you are not using pre-made blueberry jam
Step #4: Assemble the burgers with blueberry jam and your preferred burger accompaniments
Best Method for Cooking Burgers Indoors
While grilling is a popular method for burgers in the Summertime, our weather in Minnesota doesn’t always cooperate when I want a good burger. I tend to opt for cooking burgers in a grill pan or skillet on the stove, so I can enjoy them quickly and without a lot of grill prep.
There are a few keys to making the juiciest, tastiest burgers in a skillet however. Here are the tips to consider for a 5-star burger:
- Get chuck that has at least 20% fat; lean burgers are just not optimal for flavor
- 1 pound of burger will make about 3 good sized patties (1/2-inch-thick and 4 1/2 inches in diameter) that fit in standard grocery store buns
- Heat a cast iron pan up before placing the burgers in it.
- Cook over medium high heat at the beginning to get a good sear and then lower the heat a bit to cook it through
- If your sear is good but the inside of the burger is not getting done, lower the heat a bit more and place a cover on the skillet
- If you want perfectly melted cheese on your burger, wait until they are 90% done, place the cheese on top and cover the skillet with a see-through cover if possible. Watch for the cheese to melt to your desired consistency and then remove burgers and let them rest about 3-5 minutes
- For patties that are loosely packed and 1/2-inch-thick, cook about 4 minutes on one side, and then flip and cook 3 minutes on the other side. This will be medium-rare.
Recipe for Blueberry Bacon Cheeseburgers
Blueberry Bacon Cheeseburgers
- skillet Cast iron is preferable
- 5 Ounces bacon strips cut in half
- 1 Pound chuck ground beef
- 2 1/2 Ounces cheese I used gouda
- 2 Slices crisp lettuce
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise optional
- 1/2 onion red if you have it
- 1/3 Cup blueberry jam or homemade blueberry compote
- 3 hamburger buns
- Cut bacon strips in half and cook in a large skillet over medium high heat until done to your preference (crispy or softer).5 Ounces bacon
- Form ground beef into 3 1/2-inch patties about 4 1/2 inches in diameter. Sprinkle with salt and use your thumb to add a small indent in the middle of the patty to help keep it from shrinking.Heat a bit of oil in a cast iron skillet and when it is hot add your patties to the skillet.Sear on one side about 4 minutes, or until browned. Flip and cook on the other side about 3 minutes for medium rare.When the burgers are almost done to your preference, add the cheese on top and cover the pan, cooking a little longer until the cheese is melted (about 1-2 minutes)1 Pound chuck ground beef, 2 1/2 Ounces cheese
- While the burgers are cooking, lay out your accompaniments and toast the buns. Assemble the burgers: Spread the toasted buns liberally with mayonnaise. Place lettuce on top of the mayo, followed by the cheeseburger, a few spoonfuls of blueberry sauce, 3 1/2 slices of bacon, and a slice of red onion.a big pinch of arugula. Repeat with the remaining burgers.2 Slices crisp lettuce, 1/2 onion, 1/3 Cup blueberry jam, 3 hamburger buns, 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise